Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Useful

I love my house! Well, most of it, most days anyway. ;) This has not always been the case, in fact for several years, I had serious discontentment issues regarding my quite small house. Shorty & I bought our small (less than 1100 sq ft house) a few months before we got married. I don't really think the plan at the time was for it to be a long term residence... After all, we were planning on having six kids, and two tiny bedrooms didn't seem like nearly enough! Not to mention the "water closet". ;) What I mean is that you can reach the tub, sink, linen closet, and door handle all while sitting ON THE TOILET!!! =0

Now the Lord was working on my heart during my struggle-- or lack thereof-- with discontentment. He was trying to get it through my thick skull that He is sufficient for me. And when I FINALLY surrendered my insistence upon a bigger house, He graciously provided me with another bedroom. (Now Judah has a door, and Shorty & I do too!) And He provided us a storage shed, since the carport had been our storage, but was now a bedroom! ;) So as I told a dear friend at the time, "It was like adding 450 square feet, not just 300. =) That's nearly HALF my house again!

Recently I've been praying that the Lord would guard my heart against discontent, while asking that if it would be His will, could He please provide me with another bathroom. =)
6 people + water closet = many messes 
I think I'm content with my house. I want to be content... And as I was sharing that with a sister this past weekend, she shared that she has heard many of our church family being encouraged by Shorty & I staying in our little house. And I was in awe of how God can use the areas in which I STRUGGLE to bless and encourage His church!

For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.
1 Corinthians 1:25-29
 

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment