Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sleep

I have a love/hate relationship with sleep.  I love the energy I have after I've gotten a good night's sleep.  I love the quiet in the house when my Crew is sleeping.  I don't love the crazy dreams that often accompany my sleep.  And I'm not a fan of the hours that I have to devote to sleeping.  I'd rather be able to spend them on other pursuits.  In fact, I find that aspect of "vampire-ness" (Twilight style) very appealing.

My Crew tend to get really scared around bedtime.  Creepies in the closets, and bugs under the beds! ;)  And so I've talked to them often about the fact that our God NEVER sleeps.  But as I was having this discussion with them recently, I paused because I'd started to say that Jesus never sleeps-- but I wasn't sure.  Actually, I'm STILL not sure about it.  The Father never sleeps, but Jesus became a man & still lives as the God-Man in Heaven.  And then I began to wonder if we'll still need sleep after we're glorified... I kind of think I wouldn't mind sleeping then because time will seem irrelevant in eternity.  But for today, I need sleep.  And I can rest (don't always, but I CAN) because my loving Father is always awake. =)

A Song of Ascents. I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
Psalms 121:1-4


A Song of Ascents. Of Solomon. Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Psalms 127:1-2
 

 In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.
Psalms 4:8
 

The former priests were many in number, because they were prevented by death from continuing in office, but he holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever. Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.
Hebrews 7:23-25

No comments:

Post a Comment