Thursday, October 18, 2012

Money, Money, Money, Money!

One of my dreams when I was young-- or younger, depending on how "old" you think I am now ;) -- was that when I grew up I would have "plenty" of money.  My definition of "plenty" was that I would have enough to do whatever I wanted to do without having to think about how much money I had available.  I'm actually laughing as I'm writing this, because that was an incredibly UNREALISTIC dream! =D  But it has been quite a struggle for me to dethrone that particular idol-- and it may rear it's ugly head again in the near future now that I'm thinking about it...

One quote that sticks with me regarding money is from Charles Spurgeon:

If riches increase, set not your heart upon them. If they grow in an honest, providential manner, as the result of industry or commercial success, do not make much account of the circumstance; be not unduly elated, do not fix your love upon your money bags. To bow an immortal spirit to the constant contemplation of fading possessions is extreme folly. Shall those who call the Lord their glory, glory in yellow earth? Shall the image and superscription of Caesar deprive them of communion with him who is the image of the invisible God? As we must not rest in men, so neither must we repose in money. Gain and fame are only so much foam of the sea. All the wealth and honour the whole world can afford would be too slender a thread to bear up the happiness of an immortal soul. 

Those of low estate are but a breath; those of high estate are a delusion; in the balances they go up; they are together lighter than a breath. Put no trust in extortion; set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, set not your heart on them. Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God, and that to you, O Lord, belongs steadfast love. For you will render to a man according to his work.
Psalms 62:9-12

 

Today I was reading in Hebrews.  And I was struck by the author's reasoning behind not making the pursuit of wealth my goal.  There is Someone much greater to pursue! =)

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we can confidently say, "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?"
Hebrews 13:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment