Sunday, October 14, 2012

Out of Focus

In my church, & among the pastors & leaders I listen to on a regular basis, there is a lot of talk about sin.  In Reformed theology we like to talk about how great our fall was in Adam, leading to how much GREATER God's grace is, through Christ, toward His people.

Here's the problem-- at least for me.  Sometimes, like this week, I am completely overwhelmed by the sin that is a part of me.  The weight of sorrow over my sin is crushing.  And crushing is PAINFUL! =(  But unlike the pattern I described above, I was stuck on my sin.  I was "out of focus".  God does NOT reveal my sin to me for me to dwell on IT.  He shows me my sin to draw me closer to my Savior!  Seeing my sin is good, as long as it reminds me how much I need my God.  But simply seeing my sin is NOT the goal!  And as I was having my devotions yesterday afternoon, God graciously showed me that I was stuck, and began pulling me out. =)

Peace
~Sovereign Grace Music

CHORUS
Peace, You give me peace
When the storms come and I’m afraid
Peace, You give me peace
When I trust in the words You say
You give me peace

VERSE 1
If You can calm the sea
Then You can comfort me
If winds obey Your voice
Why should I fear their noise
And though my eyes can’t see
I know You’re with me

Listen here: http://sovereigngracemusic.org/Songs/Peace/7

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Hebrews 4:12-16

No comments:

Post a Comment