Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Blame

People are so good at blaming others!  It's been that way ever since Adam & Eve ate the forbidden fruit.

The man said, "The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate." Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this that you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate."
Genesis 3:12-13


My children and I are no exception.  They consistently try to lay the blame at my feet when they have disobeyed.  And in my weaker moments, I try to blame my sinful response on their misbehavior. =(  The odd thing is that things that I will never allow them to blame me for when it comes out of their little mouths, are the very same things that my heart screams at me in the quiet moments.  It's been a slow process, but I am beginning to accept only the fault that belongs to me in those moments.  For example (school analogy, since it is that time of year), if we are doing school until 5:00 p.m. because I didn't write lesson plans and so we started late, that is my fault.  If we are doing school because they spent hours playing and getting the subsequent spankings because they disobeyed, our late day is their fault.  And most of the time, it is a combination.  But I cannot RIGHTLY blame their lack of attention on my tardiness.  We are both guilty.

"Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin.
Deuteronomy 24:16


The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself. "But if a wicked person turns away from all his sins that he has committed and keeps all my statutes and does what is just and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die. None of the transgressions that he has committed shall be remembered against him; for the righteousness that he has done he shall live. Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord GOD, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live?
Ezekiel 18:20-23


I am responsible to teach and train my children in godliness, but I am powerless to change their hearts.  I can't even change my own!

Remember your mercy, O LORD, and your steadfast love, for they have been from of old. Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for the sake of your goodness, O LORD! Good and upright is the LORD; therefore he instructs sinners in the way. He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way. All the paths of the LORD are steadfast love and faithfulness, for those who keep his covenant and his testimonies. For your name's sake, O LORD, pardon my guilt, for it is great.
Psalms 25:6-11



No comments:

Post a Comment