Thursday, September 13, 2012

Digging Out of a Pit

I told Shorty recently that it is SO MUCH EASIER to maintain than to have to dig your way out of a pit.  I was speaking in reference to my weight loss.  I joined Weight Watchers last year for 3 months and lost (over the following 6 months) 25 pounds.  I worked really hard for it.  Not as hard as Shorty worked for his 50+ pounds, but hard enough. =)  When he asked what I meant, I explained that while I was trying to lose my weight, I had to walk 45 minutes to an hour 4-5 days a week, IN ADDITION to the housework I normally do to lose my weight, but now I'm walking/jogging 15-30 minutes a couple times a week & holding steady.

I've thought about "digging out of a pit" a lot over the last couple of weeks.  I'm REALLY good at getting into "pits", and by that, I mean bad and/or sinful habits.  The one that I'm trying to work my way out of right now is with regards to my parenting.  I have not been faithful to train my children as the Lord commands in His Word.  Too often I have allowed them to manipulate me, or establish patterns of disobedience.  In fact, when I was a VERY young mom, my brother didn't want to be around me and my children-- and he told me so! ;)  At the time I was too foolish to listen to the voice of wisdom, but I've grown up a bit since then...
So... we've been applying a lot of paddle and liberal amounts of instruction in the ways of the Lord.  I think our home is getting happier, and even if it's not, God is honored when I obey Him.

Come, O children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
Psalms 34:11
 

Of David. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. The LORD works righteousness and justice for all who are oppressed. He made known his ways to Moses, his acts to the people of Israel. The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. He will not always chide, nor will he keep his anger forever. He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us. As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him. For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust.
Psalms 103:1-14

No comments:

Post a Comment