Saturday, September 1, 2012

Discipline

I got to spend a few hours yesterday afternoon with a precious sister in Christ.  She is always an encouragement to me because even on her rough days, she speaks out of her faith in her Savior.  Yesterday was not one of those times when you part ways feeling like, "Oh, that was so much FUN!"  It was really heavy with discussion on how we were failing to shepherd our children well, and confession of other areas of sin in our lives.  I chewed on that for the remainder of the evening, even as my family spent time in fellowship with another part of our church family.  I kept Shorty awake too late, because I really wanted to talk to him about it.  And I woke up this morning still upset over the sin struggles that the Lord highlighted to me yesterday.  And then He dropped another load of bricks on my head-- I was grieving over the sin struggles, not so much because it is cosmic treason against my God, but because it makes me uncomfortable.  I don't feel happy when I clearly see the sin in my life.  OUCH!  And I was reminded again that my behavior grows out of the depth of evil that resides in my heart.  Every part of who I am is irreversibly tainted by sin, unless God applies His wondrous grace!

One more thing today.  The Lord used a message that I listened to this summer to pinpoint a particular area of struggle for me.  I was listening to Tim Keller, and he said that we all agree that pride is bad, but humility is not thinking badly of yourself, it is simply thinking of yourself less.....
So with God's strength and grace and patience, I'll work on that.

And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives." It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed. Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.
Hebrews 12:5-14

No comments:

Post a Comment