Sunday, September 9, 2012

Quarter Century

I mentioned in a previous post that I've been "recycling" my idols this week.  Today a couple of them came back for round 10,002! =P  And I FAILED again... =(  So as I was pondering how often and easily I choose sin, it hit me that it's been 25 years since I received the gift of faith.  And I thought, "Lord, you'd think I would have conquered this sin by now."  And He reminded me that my sinful actions & thoughts flow out of the sin that is a part of me.  God the Father chose me in eternity past, Christ atoned for my sin on the cross nearly 2000 years ago, and the Holy Spirit applied that atonement to my soul almost right at 25 years ago.  But the sin in my life is so deep...

For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
Romans 7:18-24


Have you ever had a zit that swelled up, but wouldn't make a head, and it hurt so bad that you just couldn't leave it alone?  So you try to pop it, but all you succeed in doing is making a big scab.  I've got one of those on my forehead right now-- please don't stare. ;)  But I think sometimes my sin is like that.  It is so deep, and it hurts to be left alone, and it hurts to be poked at, but it just won't "pop".  Now when I start down this particular mental trail, I can become morose and depressed very quickly.  And I was well on my way when the Lord shifted my focus.  You see, with man salvation is impossible.  We fall SO SHORT of God's infinite perfection that if the focus is on ourselves, there is no hope.  But I love Jesus so much more than I did at first, and more than I did even a year ago.  Even though it can be so PAINFUL, I love the Holy Spirit for working out sanctification in my life.  And I love the Father, because He loved me first & set His affection on me when I was unlovely-- still am often unlovely!  It's hard to stay morose or depressed when I am thinking on the unsurpassed GREATNESS of my God!

To the choirmaster: according to Jeduthun. A Psalm of David. 
For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. How long will all of you attack a man to batter him, like a leaning wall, a tottering fence? They only plan to thrust him down from his high position. They take pleasure in falsehood. They bless with their mouths, but inwardly they curse. Selah 
For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. Selah 
Those of low estate are but a breath; those of high estate are a delusion; in the balances they go up; they are together lighter than a breath. Put no trust in extortion; set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, set not your heart on them. Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God, and that to you, O Lord, belongs steadfast love. For you will render to a man according to his work.
Psalms 62:1-12

No comments:

Post a Comment